As we’ve mentioned before in an earlier blog on What NOT To Do When You Move to Israel, “Don’t go a week in the summer without making it to the beach.” That being said, the sun is shining, the water is finally warm, and that only means one thing: beach season is upon us! It’s time to grab those towels, sport that new bathing suit, and hit the Tel Aviv sandstrip for some fun in the summer sun at some of my favorite beaches.
1. Banana Beach: just before sand turns to grass, this beach is in perfect proximity to the action: close enough to Jaffa and the lively weekend barbecue buzz at Charles Clore park, but also steps away from Allenby, one of Tel Aviv’s most happening streets.
2. Mezizim Beach: a local favorite, this beach is fun for everyone – with a beachside resto-bar for the local 20-30 something crowd (perfect for practicing your Hebrew with) and a playground for children. Plus, the Tel Aviv Port is just nextdoor if you want to get your post-tan shopping on.
3. Ajami Beach: sometimes, we all need a little break from the action…especially during tourist season. Head south to Old Jaffa, Tel Aviv’s older sister, for an afternoon getaway with a historical backdrop. The views are unreal from Ajami, and the serene atmosphere is perfect for recharging before another fast-paced White City week.
4. Hilton Beach: Tel Aviv has an incredible LGBTQ community, including a designated gay sandstrip. Just underneath the Hilton hotel, this beach has it all: from rainbow umbrellas to must-try water sports to feel like a local.
5. Bograshov Beach: who doesn’t love going to a beach that features a caricature-esque statue of Ben Gurion doing a headstand? Bograshov Beach is an unnamed landmark for tourists to snap photos at, while Tel Avivians love to get their tan on here.
Written by Tamar Pross, CEO & Founder of Citizen Cafe
There’s only so much sun you can take in a day. Balance it with our July Citizen Café Ulpan classes: